How to Make Homemade Bread in a Brick Oven
To make bread dough, you’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon active-dry yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (not hot)
- 2 cups high gluten flour, or 00 Flour Italian Milled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir together yeast, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl and let stand until surface appears creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, water, salt, and oil and stir until smooth. Stir in enough flour for dough to begin to pull away from the side of the bowl. (Dough will be slightly wet.)
- Knead dough on a floured surface, lightly flouring when dough becomes too sticky, work the dough until smooth, soft, and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- For best results use the dough the next day, it makes for a nicer airy dough. Roll the dough into a small loaf shape. Cover with some flour and then put in dough box to let rise for about 2 hours , until double in size. When it’s ready place the dough on the pizza peel. Use a knife to split the top length wise about a 1/3 an inch deep . Pour a small amount of olive oil in split (or butter ) Place bread in the oven be sure that you only have embers glowing lightly, no flame is needed for the Bread to bake . Turn bread as needed when done let it cool down before cutting!